No, the intake tube does not kill the fish, the fish become sick, stressed or die due to something such as water quality, and then the current pulls them to the intake tube, where they become stuck. This happens in new tanks in particular, when a new hobbyist adds fish too quickly and causes an ammonia spike, for example. It can also happen when the fish become ill, but don't show any obvious symptoms so the hobbyist is unaware of the illness. There are a lot of parasites, protozoa, bacteria, viruses, fungi, etc, that attack fish. I would first recommend testing the water for pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and alkalinity. Then do a partial water change of 30%, add in water conditioner, and Tetra SafeStart Plus to help boost your biological filter. Call us if you have any additional questions, 1-800-322-1266.
Date published: 2016-06-28